Correcting Your Credit Report

Noticing incorrect information reported on your credit report can be very aggravating, particularly in a situation where you paid a debt that is still showing up on your credit report.

Inaccurate credit reporting can not only damage your credit rating, but it can also affect your credit score and your ability to obtain credit in the future. If you are experiencing credit reporting errors, then you can take steps to correct your credit report. Contact a seasoned bankruptcy lawyer to learn more about how an attorney could help you with correcting your credit report.

Types of Errors on Credit Reports

There are a variety of errors that can be found on your credit report, including the following:

  • Incorrect information relating to the status of your debt. (i.e. showing the debt as delinquent rather than current)
  • Incorrect balance owed information
  • Information for another person on your credit report
  • Incorrect information relating to your debt (i.e. last payment date)
  • Multiple entries of the same account listing more than one creditor

After you locate errors on your credit report, it is important that you continue your investigation by taking steps to make sure the incorrect information is remedied. A dedicated attorney could assist with correcting your credit report.

Options for Proceeding to Correct Your Credit Report

One step you can take to remedy credit reporting issues is contacting the credit reporting agency from whom you received the credit report and let them know of the situation concerning your credit report. The credit reporting agency should investigate the issue and let you know the results of the investigation.

If there was an error on your credit report, then the credit reporting agency may send your credit report that has been corrected to reflect accurate information.

If the credit reporting agency indicates they contacted the creditor who confirmed the information reported on your credit as being accurate, then the information may not be removed from your credit report. If this occurs, then you can contact the creditor or agent of the creditor who incorrectly reported the information (i.e. debt collector) to request that they remedy the information to correct your credit report.

If you are unable to achieve results to resolve your credit reporting issue, then you may need to explore other options. One such option is filing a lawsuit against the creditor who provided inaccurate information on your credit report.

There are laws in place that allow you to file a lawsuit and recover damages from the creditor in this situation. Another option is filing a lawsuit against the credit reporting agency. You may also able to recover damages from the credit reporting agency.

Some of the damages you may be able to recover include emotional distress, lost wages, filing fees to file the lawsuit, and attorney’s fees associated with having to file the lawsuit.

How an Attorney Could Assist

While it can be very time consuming and difficult to correct credit reporting issues, it may be worthwhile for you now and in the future to make sure your credit report is accurate. An attorney could help you by contacting the creditor, creditor’s agent, or credit reporting agency on your behalf to try and solve these issues. An attorney could also file a lawsuit on your behalf if it appears to be the appropriate course of action in your situation.

If you are thinking about filing a lawsuit, then it is important that you consult an attorney with experience filing lawsuits relating to credit reporting issues. The litigation process can be very difficult to navigate properly to avoid costly errors that can affect the outcome of a case. An experienced New Jersey lawyer can review your situation and advise you of options to consider when correcting your credit report.